Prevent Frozen Pipes This Winter
- Insulate to reduce exposure to outside air leaks.
- Consider draining water lines and fixtures if leaving for the season.
- Open sink cabinet doors to circulate warm air.
- Maintain interior temperatures above 55° when leaving for extended periods and have someone check your home regularly.
- Never use a blow torch or flame to thaw pipes. The use of a hot hair dryer or even a light bulb over a period of time will solve the problem.
- Begin to winterize in the late fall/early winter.
- Shut off and drain pipes to exterior spigots.
- Wrap vulnerable pipes with foam sleeves or insulation.
- Locate your customer shutoff valve so you know where it is if you have a pipe break. If you don’t have one, consider hiring a plumber to install one.
- If appropriate, consider having a qualified person install "heat tape" or "heat cable".
- If a pipe breaks and you cannot get the water turned off, call the City of Prescott Utilities service line at 928.777.1118.
- For information specific to the Prescott area, please contact a licensed plumber or building professional. Visit Yavapai County Contractors Association website.
Do you know why the night time is the best time to water? Click here for Basic City of Prescott Watering Information.
From April 15 through November 1, City water customers must water outdoors between 8:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Click here for City Code.
Set your irrigation system or sprinklers to water in the nighttime hours. Click here for more irrigation tips.
Enjoy the rewards of using water more efficiently which is saving on your water bill and doing your part to live WaterSmart.
The City of Prescott thanks you for doing Your part to live
Use the links below to get more tips on:
- WaterSmart Landscaping
- Water Smart Landscaping Irrigation, Design, and Maintenance
- The Best Time to Water
- How Much Water Is Too Much
- How to Prevent Water Waste
- Report City of Prescott Code Violations
- Prescott City Code prohibition against potable water flowing upon streets
City of Prescott Upcoming Events: